Worksman Cycle has produced bicycles and tricycles since 1898, making it America’s oldest bicycle manufacturer. They now specialize in tricycles and food service carts, although they still manufacture bicycles. Its main manufacturing facility, a three-story, 90,000 square foot building, is located in Ozone Park, NY, within Con Edison’s electric service territory.
Worksman Cycle hired the EN-POWER GROUP to develop a comprehensive energy plan to save energy, energy cost, and maximize the use of various NYC/NYS incentive programs.
We developed an overall plan that included
- Developing detailed energy benchmarking using EPA Energy Star Portfolio Manager,
- Enrolling Worksman Cycle’s facility in the NYISO ICAP/SCR program, which, based on operational changes, allowed the site to curtail 50 kW during the NYISO event,
- Installing new lighting, which saved the facility 20 kW of demand and over 80,000 kWh annually,
- Installing a 15.2 kW solar PV system to produce on-site electricity and provide investment criteria for NYC incentive programs,
- Qualifying and enrolling Worksman Cycle in NYC ICIP, ECSP and BIR programs, which led to a 50% reduction in real estate property taxes, a 72% reduction in Con Edison demand charges, and a 67% reduction in Keyspan Energy natural gas delivery charges.
These measures were selected based on payback criteria developed by the En-Power Group. We were responsible for all work associated with the implementation of the plan.